Technorati Tags: MobilesNow days when we read about smartphones, it is always about screen resolution, High end Processor Multiple Mega pixel camera or Apps.
What gets ignored most is battery life. Power plants of these superphones are yet to see any technological breakthrough. What’s use of phone if it runs out of juice in few hours ?
For me Battery life always has been very critical aspect in selection of phone. When I bought Nokia E52 I knew what I wanted. I had Nokia N97 mini,good phone but poor in terms of battery backup. It’s amazing to see that even after 7 months , I am getting almost same battery life.
I just tried to run battery backup test to check this. I didn’t want to use any app for this as I wanted to keep process simple. Here is how I did it.
- Drained Battery to complete zero level and it switched off.
- Charged it fully again while phone was switched off.
- Then I noted down time when Battery was full. I was Sunday , 9 AM.
- I set all call timers, Data counters to zero.
I use Nokia Messaging Email extensively to read and reply to emails on mobile.
So apart from above always on apps/services ,my usage was as follows :
- Voice Calls – 2 hours 30 mins (I still think primary function of phone is to make calls )
- Listening to Music – 40 mins (via Stereo Bluetooth) , 1 hour (via wired headsets)
- Gravity for twitter – 2 hours
- Internet(Opera Mini & default S60 browser) – 1 hour
- Instant Messaging and VOIP (Nimbuzz,Fring) – 30 mins
With all this setup , phone just went on and on and switched to power saving mode at around 6 PM on Monday. It was completely drained out at 8:30 PM , almost 36 hours.
I am sure by disabling push email, and keeping on power saver , it can work about 3 days easily
For me this is #win. Amazing performance !!!
I have used E72 for 3 weeks and though it also has same battery, E52 pushes it to 2nd place by very narrow margin.
With all smartphones out there, There are no current phones which have same battery. At least I don’t know if there exists anything like that.
E52 is best smartphone when it comes to battery backup, might BP-4L with 1500 mAh.
I hope that in 2011 , we should have something better !
What you guys think about battery backup in mobiles? How important it is for you? Let me know via comments.